THE CONROY STORY
Broken Hill is where Conroy’s started with the late PK Conroy, opening his butcher shop in 1902, and then purchasing another six shops, an ice works and a piggery.
From there, the late Bob (RL) Conroy, son of the late PK came to Adelaide and purchased a butcher shop at 154A Rundle Street and commenced trading on 1st May 1940. It took twelve months before the general public realised that top quality meat at competitive prices was available at Conroy’s in the heart of the city.
Then after two years of trading, 154A became too small so a larger premise next to Harris Scarfe’s was purchased. With the large workroom behind the shop the manufacturing of smallgoods, ham and bacon commenced.
With the influx of European migrants after the war, the demand for continental meats increased so a site for a factory was needed.
By 1954 a factory was built at Richmond Road, Richmond to supply the Rundle Street shop, other delicatessens and continental food stores in the suburbs.
In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s the third generation of Conroy’s joined the business, Patrick in 1958 and Andrew in 1961. Both gained knowledge from Cecil Chapman on the manufacturing of ham, bacon and smallgoods.
It was decided to close the Rundle Street shop in 1963 so they could concentrate in the manufacturing side and the current site on the corner of Drayton and Sevenths Street was purchased and in 1976 manufacturing commenced.